There is nothing better than homemade food from scratch and even better if it’s from your own kitchen garden. Tomato sauce or passata is one of these that is full of flavour and adds so much to any meal you make.
Making your own is really simple process and doesn’t require too much effect, just a little time that’s all. Once you have cut up and added the ingredients to the pot, all need to do is let if do it’s thing.
Now if you don’t grow enough of your own tomatoes don’t panic just make sure you get really ripe and fresh tomatoes from your local fruit and veg shop or even better your local farmers market. You want the tomatoes to be full of flavour to add to your sauce meaning you don’t need to add to much too it to get great flavour.
So all you’ll need to make this great tasty sauce and to be honest you will not want to buy store brought again once you have tasted your own.
1/3 cup olive oil
4 small onions chopped finely
20 med tomatoes (4kg)
8 crushed garlic cloves
2/3 cup fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook onion – add garlic fry off
- Place in a large pot add tomatoes and bring to the boil. Simmer uncovered for 1 ½ hours until it is the consistency or close to pasta sauce.
- Stir in basil cook for about 1 minutes and season to taste
To keep your sauce at hand and ready to use all year around you can freeze it in containers for up to 6 months, leaving 1-2 cm from top to allow for expansion.
You will need to refrigerate once opened and should last for around 1-2 weeks.
If you wanting to store in your cupboard for easy of use and to have it ready when you want it then place the hot sauce into sterilised jars and seal. Allow to cool at room temperature before storing in a cool cupboard for up to 12 months.
If the jars are sealed correctly can last 12 months, but we never have it around long enough to test though.
Happy cooking and don’t forget to let us know how you go with your sauce and what you like to add to make it special for you and your family. We love to share and more than that we love to try new recipes so share yours below.
Simple Tomato Sauce
- 1/3` cup Olive Oil
- 4 Small Onions Chopped Finely
- 20 Medium Tomatoes 4kg - chopped
- 8 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 1/3 Cup Basil Chopped
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Cook Onion until soft
- Add in Garlic fry off
- Place the onion and garlic in a large pot, add in the tomatoes and bring to the boil
- Simmer uncovered for around 11/2 hour until it is the consistency of pasta sauce or to the thickness you like.
- Stir in he basil at the end bout 10 minutes before placing in jars or containers for freezing
- Season to taste - now add to jars