Sweet Chilli sauce or jam is a great condiment to any meal, dish or platter. Super easy to make and the great thing about making it yourself is you can make it has hot as you like.
It’s great as a dip with fresh carrots and celery sticks, or to have with some crust bread. I like to have it over my eggs in the morning and its great to add your pasta dish for the hint of a little kick.
I love recipes that I can adjust to suit my taste and is great if you have kids as you have the control to cut back on the chilli. Its a great condiment that stores really well. About 3 months in a cupboard or pantry, if open I suggest storing in the fridge and will last a couple weeks but honest it never last long in our house.
You only need a few ingredients (full recipe below)
- Tomatoes – and these can be any kind that you may have on hand including cherry tomatoes.
- Chilli’s – the amount is going to depend on how hot you like it. Also the kind of chilli is a personal taste, experiment with what works best.
- Sugar to sweeten it
Really simple process to make, all you need is a food process and a pot. Blend all the ingredients roughly, I like a little bite to my sauce, but you can certainly blend until smooth.
Some recipes also call for you to remove the skin from the tomatoes, but honestly this isn’t really unnecessary and just adds a time consuming step.
But if you like it better that way then please do this step, like we have said before our recipes are a guide, make it your own.
Once you have blended all the ingredients time to cook it and add the sugar. the sugar is to sweeten the taste. Add as little or as much as you like, this really is a recipe that you change to suit your own taste. Play around with the amounts and see what you like the bet.
Cook the mixture until it reduces and thickens. Now pour into your sterilised clean jars while the mixture is hot. This helps to seal the jars to keep it fresh until you want to use the sauce.
For tips to sterilising your jars is difficult and we have a great simple process for you to follow here.
Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 kg Tomatoes Can use any kind of tomatoes you like or have on hand
- 10-20 Chilli's Depending on how hot you like your sauce
- 1 brown onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 cups sugar Depending on how sweet you like it
- 1 cup white Vinegar
- Process Chilli's, garlic, onions and tomatoes until smooth on a food processor
- Add mix to a pot with water, sugar and vinegar.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer until sauce thickens to your liking
- Place hot sauce into clean jars and seal tightly with a screw-top lid