As much as I love a beautiful apple and cinnamon scroll, with it’s rich delicious bread and sweet icing drizzle, I don’t usually have the time (or the inclination) to make one from scratch. So, a great little alternative is to make an apple and cinnamon scroll using puff pastry. It’s a delicious cheat that is quick and easy to make, and will see you in and out the kitchen in 30 minutes. Perfect. I love to make a huge batch and keep them in the freezer for a handy go-to, great for a light dessert or a sweet treat in the lunch box.
Full recipe below.
I really like no-fuss recipes and this apple and cinnamon scroll recipe couldn’t be simpler. An excellent one for the kids to try too.
Mix caster sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl.
Grab yourself 3 large apples (you don’t have to peel them) and slice/dice them as thick or thin as you like. Add the apple slices as you go to the sugar/cinnamon mix and toss to coat well to stop them going brown.
Brush some melted butter over each sheet of puff pastry. Divide your apples between each sheet leaving a 2cm gap at one end.
Gently press the apples into the pastry to ensure the apples don’t fall out when you roll the pastry. Carefully roll the pastry into a log towards the end with the gap and press to seal the end.
Cut the pastry into strips, as thick or thin as you like. I was able to get 10 slices out of each pastry sheet. Place the scrolls onto a lined baking tray, sprinkle with any leftover sugar and cinnamon.
Bake at 180°C for around 20 minutes or until golden brown.
These can be enjoyed as is, warm or cold, or serve with ice cream or heavy cream. You can even make a simple icing glaze to drizzle over the top, just mix a little water with some icing sugar and drizzle over the top. Why not add a few sultanas or choc chips over the apples before rolling and slicing? They’re incredibly versatile and you will enjoy them no matter which way you decide to serve them. Perfect for a handy lunch box treat.
Apple Cinnamon Scrolls
- 3 Apples sliced thin or diced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- melted butter To brush over pastry
- 1 Pastry sheet
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon
- Slice or dice your apples and place straight into the sugar mix - Coat well
- Place a sheet of pastry on a board and spread over the melted butter
- Place the apples top of the pastry and roll to press the apples into the pastry
- Slice the pastry into strips and roll up.
- place on a tray - top the excess sugar and cinnamon mix
- Bake in a 180 degree oven for around 20 minutes, until golden brown
- let cool before freezing and if you like don't forget to add the drizzle of glaze.
|Struggling with Overwhelm
We can help!
Download your free guides to help you stay organised and in control of your life.